Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Crossroads


Is it okay to be frightened of the game tonight?

I mean, I think I could be witnessing one of the final nails in the coffin when the Flames take on the Red Wings tonight. Perhaps "dread" is the more appropriate term. Like the way you'd feel if you were asked by police to confirm the identity of body. Ugh.

Both Matt and Tyler have posts pointing out that the Flames now-precarious position in the standings is a bit of an illusion thanks to the current scoring system in the NHL. While their (valid) points take the edge off a little, I know I won't be able to take solace in point-system cynicism should Calgary manage to bow-out of the play-off picture prematurely come April. I think it'll be the road record, rather than the League's preponderance of 3 point games, that'll gall me till the start of the new season anyways.

With all that said, a faint hope still glimmers amidst the gloom. If the Flames can somehow gather 3 or 4 points from these next 2 contests I think they'll have a fighting chance. If not...bye bye Playfair, hello golf course!

Wings - 4, Calgary - 3. Juice, Iginla and Stuart for Calgary. Datsyuk (2), Lidstrom, Calder for Detroit (Yup, I'm finally predicting a loss).