Monday, February 25, 2008

Covering the MSM...elsewhere

I was recently solicited by Godd Till of the always excellent Coxbloc blog to give some of my thoughts on the Calgary sports media:

What is the relationship between players and press? Front office and press?

The players and media are pretty friendly. That seems to stem from guys like Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy who are almost always willing to do interviews and are invariably smiling when doing them. It probably also comes from the lack of smear-pieces that are produced in town: both parties seemed motivated to keep the relationship "on good terms". The last time I can remember a player snapping at the media in scrum was Alex Tanguay when he was recently asked if he'd like to "remain in Calgary" ("That's a stupid question" was his obvious response).


The entire interview is here.

It was a bit of challenge for me because I pay less and less attention to the mainstream media these days, particularly the local rags in town. I'll check Inside the Flames every so often and peruse the Herald or Sun websites when I need some blog filler, but...I'm at the point now where I basically assume that if a worthy article springs up in the MSM, it will make it's way to the blogosphere anyways.

Anyways, check it out if you're weary of the trade deadline talk.