Thursday, October 04, 2007

For Your Consideration...

Some Items of note heading into the Flames vs. Flyers contest tonight:

ITEM! The Flames haven't won a season opener at home since Roman Turek shut-out the Oilers 1-0 back in 2001.

ITEM! The Flames haven't scored more than 3 goals in a game since March 29th. That includes exhibition games.

ITEM! I attended all of the Flames home pre-season games except for the one against the Sharks. It was the only game Calgary won. I am attending the game tonight. Place your bets accordingly.

ITEM! Conroy was seen practicing between Iginla and Tanguay recently, while Lombardi was centering Peters and Nilson. Could be because Lombardi's wrist still isn't 100% or it could be because Conroy has Svengali-like powers over the Flames coaching staff.

ITEM! Nolan is expected to play this evening. I recently bet a friend of mine $10 Nolan would play less than 70 games this year, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. David Moss is the lone roster player who will be shelved due to injury.

ITEM! Yelle was seen on a line with Primeau and Godard at practice. GAG.

ITEM! Damond Langkow received 32 votes for the Selke trophy last season.

ITEM! Philadelphia already has a bunch of injuries: Randy Jones (Hip), RJ Umberger (broken finger), Scottie Upshall (broken wrist) and Joffrey Lupul (sprained wrist) all sustained some boo-boos during the pre-season. Of the four, only Lupul is probable to play tonight (which is fine by me).

ITEM! I have both Gagne and Knuble on one of my many fantasy teams. Should the game go as I expect it will, at least there'll be a silver lining (for me).

ITEM! During their "Season Preview", the pundits on the NHL Network declared the Flames will probably have issue "scoring goals this season". They thought the addition of Adrian Aucoin would likely help out the PP. Also, Alex Tanguay was not mentioned as one of the difference makers on the team...

A tad depressing I guess. I think my melancholy outlook is natural given the Flames decided lack of positive results over the last few months or so. Here's hoping they prove me wrong tonight.