Thursday, July 26, 2007

Lowe at it Again...?

There's some tentative reports that the Oilers have offered RFA Dustin Penner a $21M/5 year deal. If this gambit should prove successful, Edmonton will have to forfeit their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2008.

Were I Brian Burke, I'd take the draft picks and run. Penner is a nice player, but I'm not sure he's worth the money the Oilers are offering. not to mention those are going to be some decently placed picks in a strong draft year.

As for the Oilers, well, Penner would certainly improve the team, but not to any large degree. $4M and 3 quality picks is a high price to pay for that kind of player. I still think they'd be better served pursuing effective yet unwanted guys like Mike Johnson that could be had for relatively cheap, but what do I know?

Update - TSN running the story now.

Reactions -

Covered in Oil

Battle of California, which includes this clever little doozy from Sleek:

I dunno--this kind of reminds me of Joffrey Lupul: Brian Burke gets easy-minute production from an underpaid player, then allows Kevin Lowe to turn an underpaid Duck into an overpaid Oiler?

and Mudcrutch's response:

I've closed the door to my office and started to drink.

Mike Chen deduces that:

Kevin Lowe is a mole planted by the NHLPA to artificially drive up costs.

Lowetide:

As bad as it felt to lose the SCF, or endure Pronger being dealt, or even to watch Ryan Smyth crying at the airport, this takes the cake. Kevin Lowe has mortgaged the future in his search for mediocrity.

If you love average, you'll love the Oilers.