Sunday, November 18, 2007

MMMM. Crow.

The Flames did everything in their power to prove, finally and definitively, that I have no idea what Im talking about. Not only did the Lombo promotion I was pimping yesterday not happen, my two favorite punching bags (Nolan and Conroy) contributed to all 3 goals in the 3-1 win over the Greasers last night. Just to top it all off, Eriksson didn't look terrible for the 3rd straight game.

When it comes to this stuff, I'm glad to be proven wrong. If Nolan continues to produce, Conroy kicks it up to a PPG pace and Eriksson positions himself as a Norris finalist, I'll eat my humble pie with a smile on my face.

In my defense, though, I'd like to point out that the Oilers are really a bad hockey team. Projecting future multiple point games for Nolan based on last night is problematic because, well, almost every club in the NHL is better than Edmonton. In many cases, much, much better. I was pleased as punch to see Nolan contribute last night, but he won't be let out of my doghouse (Conroy either) until he does it a couple more times, preferably against at least middling opposition.

That said, it really looks like Nolan and Lomabardi got some chemistry going with Nystrom, meaning a probable delay in Lombo's ever deferred promotion into the top 6 (as pointed out by the anonymous commenter in the pre-game post). We'll see if it lasts or not.

Anyways, good bounces, decent 60 minutes, etc. Quick turnaround today as the Flames play the Canucks in Vancouver in a couple of hours. The Orcas have been a pretty bad home team so far this year for some reason, so that's potential for hope. On the other hand, does today mark the debut of [insert rookie back-up here]...?

Doubtful. Kipper looks to be rounding into form and it's not like he was exactly busy last night (16 SA). The Flames also need these points desperately. All signs point to another Kipper/Luongo duel.

Prediction - Flames 3, Canucks 2. Iginla, Langkow and Phaneuf for Calgary. Sedin (doesn't matter which) and Pyatt for Vancouver.