Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Tanguay Speaks

Nothing too earth-shattering, but it's interesting to hear it from the horses mouth:

"Twice last season I asked the Flames to trade me, and Montreal was on my wish list both times,"

"I thought they traded for me from Colorado because I could generate offence," Tanguay said with a bitter smile.

"I was in that sort of a situation for the first time in my career and it was tough.

"I felt out of place in their system and that's why I wanted to leave Calgary and that I waived the no-trade clause (in my contract)".

...

Tanguay, however, refused to voice any negative comments about Flames head coach Mike Keenan, other than saying he could be "difficult."


There were dire warnings when Keenan was hired last summer: warnings of scapegoating and manipulation that would potentially alienate some players.

Perhaps this can be played as the whining of a prima donna or overly sensitive player. But, not only did Tanguay's production fall by nearly 30 points, he was requesting a trade within 3 months of Keenan's arrival on the scene. This isn't Jeff Friesen whining about playing time even though he stunk - this is the Flames 2nd best forward, a year or so removed from signing a new deal with a no trade clause, wanting to get the hell out of dodge. I find that rather disconcerting.

This is why Sutter was forced to deal an impact player with a decent contract for a late first-round draft pick. One year in and we're already seeing the deleterious effects of Keenan's presence. A couple of his punching bags went away recently, so his withering gaze may be cast elsewhere this coming season. Question is, upon whom does the hammer fall? Lombardi? Cammalleri? Moss?

Just another source of trepidation for Flames fans heading into the new year.