Friday, August 04, 2006

Good God(ard)!

There's some rumors swirling on the boards that the Flames have signed tough guy Eric Godard. I was loathe to grant them any sort of legitimacy until I saw that the nhlpa is listing Godard as Flames property.

So, let's see. He's huge. Probably slow. He's scored 2 goals in 107 NHL games! Gee-whiz. Super.

I have to assume, for my own peace of mind, that Godard was signed to a 2-way, league minimum kind of contract and is therefore Omaha bound. The thought of him taking a roster spot away from, well...any current Flame I can think of currently makes me ill. As you can probably tell, I am part of a growing concensus that thinks that the role of the "talentless pugilist" has become something of an anachronism in today's NHL.

Anyways, I suppose we'll see what the truth of the matter is shortly. Either this is a baseless rumor and a nhlpa typo, or Sutter has suddenly developed a penchant for signing large, PIM gathering players (see: Brad Ference signing).