Monday, September 10, 2007

I Pulled an "Eklund"

To Pull a Homer: to succeed despite idiocy.

Pre-season is almost here and for the life of me I can't think of anything interesting to write about. In the absence of any new analysis, I'll treat this space's few readers to an amusing bout of navel gazing.

Back in July, I wrote a snarky post besmirching the Phoenix Coyotes Franchise, which included this little bit of ironic prescience:

At least Oilers fans will be able to look down their noses at someone this upcoming season. With apologies to Shane Doan, if something quite drastic doesn't happen between now and October, Phoenix will be hard pressed to win 20 games all year. As it stands, they have a 140 goal roster with a sub-0.900SV% goaltender. Not a winning formula. Hell, they need to spend another $10M+ just to get to the salary cap basement...

On that note [...] What other unwanted pariahs will make their way down south this summer? Yashin? Niinimaa? Auld? Stefan?


Little did I know the Coyotes would leap upon my rather snide prophecy as if it were sage advice. Guys, I was kidding! Throwing darts for rhetorical effect! Does ANYONE know what they're doing down there??

Unfortunately for the Coyotes, I don't think they'll be pulling an Eklund of their own this coming season...