Sunday, February 25, 2007

Confusion around our Huge Win


I have to admit, I am completely confused by our boys in Red. On Hockey Night in Canada, they played the NHL's toughest road team, and handed them a 7-4 loss. I know that too much has been made of Calgary's recent road woes, but despite that, I am continuously surprised by the Flames.

At home, we just don't seem to lose. It doesn't really matter who we play. On the road, we just cannot find a way to close the door. Even when it's a MUST have game against a terrible team and yours truly guarantees a victory. So rather than attempt to explain this, (because no one, not even the Flames themselves can seem to), I will offer my humble opinion on what was done well, and what needs improvement.

Positives:
I thought that Jarome continued to play some of his best hockey of the season. He was skating hard, making plays, and pulling the trigger when his chances came around. He was easily the best Flame on the ice, something that has been tough to do lately if your nickname isn't Juice.

Speaking of which, although he only accounted for 2 assists, I thought that Kristian played another solid game. As anyone who reads this blog knows, I am extremely biased towards my Flames, and although I acknowledge this, can anyone show me a player with better vision in the league that Juice? That pass across for Dion's goal was simply fantastic.

Although he had to sit for 2 penalties, I would still rank Tanguay's play as particularly good. He chipped in with three assists, and got jobbed on one penalty and sat for too many man on the other. His hustle caused several key turnovers including a goal at a key point in the game.

Lombo was flying around the ice, and his goal kept the momentum from changing hands. What can you say about Langkow? Here is a guy that never gets any credit, and consistently plays solid hockey at both ends of the ice. He is closing in on 30 goals, plays tough 'D', and is one of the Flames most underrated creative players. Primeau had another solid night, his recent energy has been sparking the Flames. He doesn't get the ice time of anyone else mentioned here, and he makes the most of it.

Lastly, I would like to acknowledge a member of the opposing team, something which I pretty much never do; Mark Bell, you are a class act. After devastating Primeau with an uppercut in their tilt, he backed off, looked at the linesmen, and pretty much called an end to a fight that could have gotten out of hand pretty quickly. Bell had no problem with Primeau, he needed to get his team a spark, and recognized that Wayne was doing the same thing. There was no reason to potentially injury someone that was just doing his job. Bell is a dying breed in the NHL, a tough guy that commands the respect of his peers through his consistent play, and his code of honour. It may be a cliche to say it, but it needs saying. Good job Mark.

Negatives:
Our whole defensive core. Once again we were soft in our own zone, and I hate to place the blame on our 'D' men, but that is where it rests. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that the Sharks aren't exactly the average NHL team, in fact, the first line of the PP reads like an all-star line up, but guys, we have got to be tougher. There was a play mid-way through the first period that pretty much summed up how we have been playing in our own zone lately. Joe Thorton came down on the fore check and basically threw Regher out of the way and took the puck. Sort of a like when you were six playing against your dad and he decided to try all of a sudden; 'Sorry lad, I think I'll take that'.

One thing I did notice was how often we battled for the puck with one hand on our sticks. In my humble opinion, this is the one of the key reasons that we fail to clear the puck from our own zone when we are in trouble. The boys take one hand off the stick to win the battle, but when they do, the only option to 'head-man' the puck, is a feeble one handed push that never gets the job done.

I hate to pick on one guy in particular, but Rhett my man, you gotta take a break or something. It's clear your hurt, and while I cannot imagine the toughness it takes to go out there and battle on game nights, it's clear your not 100%.

Lastly, please, please give Kipper tomorrow night off. He looks tired out there as I have said before, and he needs a night or two to recover.

Next up, the drooling dogs from sandland.

Go Flames Go!