Thursday, November 17, 2005

How Deep Does the Rabbit Hole go?

- I was unable to watch the game last night, having a free ticket to Henry Rollins "spoken-word" show (which I recommend you check out if you have a chance). So I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the victory - yet. I did, of course, record the game and intend to watch it immediately after work tonight. All I can say is Im stunned, happy, amazed, etc. that Calgary was able to stretch the streak to 8 in a row against the the Red Wings. I honestly figured this was where the Flames bubble was going to burst. However, from what I've heard at least, Calgary turned in another impressive, hard-edged performance. The next test will be to fight complacency and come out the same way against Chicago on Friday. While the Hawks hardly have an intimidating record, they have won 3 of their last 4 games and Khabibulin seems to be turning his game around. The challenge for the Flames will be to overcome any sort of "overconfidence" issues which may come from winning 8 straight, and concentrate on playing "their game" for a full 60 minutes Friday night.

...Positives and Negatives to come after I watch the game.

Other things of note:

- Philly lost again, this time to Pittsburgh in overtime. Apparently Sid the Kid scored the winner. I think that's two in a row for the Flyers now who haven't gotten a lot of goal scoring from Gagne during the losses. I don't expect that to last very long, however.

- St. Louis finally ended their losing streak, albeit against the lowly Blue Jackets. Although Federov was in the line-up, the BJ's couldn't muster even a single goal against the Blues. I guess the one positive note for Columbus was that Federov WAS chosen as one of the three stars of the game. Hey, you gotta find a silver-lining somewhere.

- What is with the Thrashers this year? 9-0 wins and then 7-3 losses. I guess their unending string of goalie mishaps might have something to do with it. I swear...their 'tenders have the same durability as a Spinal Tap drummer.

- Two of Calgary's main divisional rivals (Colorado and Vancouver) also won last night...BOOOOO. The Northwest is certainly shaping up to be the dogfight everyone expected.

- And finally, I think it would do Sean Avery a lot of good if he had his jaw broken and wired shut...

Anyways, more later...after observance of the Flame victory!