Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What's a "Blue Jacket" Anyways?

Just wondering if someone knows...

Anyways, does anyone think the Flames will return to the "November" version of the team at home tonight? Or will the Blue Jackets be faced with the rather timid lot we saw in St. Louis on Monday? Hard to say - Flames very-much-likey their 'dome home, but this visiting Columbus team has a lot of offensive weaponary: Vyborny, Nash, Zherdev, Federov and Bryan "find me a vein" Berard are nothing to sneeze at. The doper at the end there is the only other d-man in the league (as well as the Dion) to have 11 PP goals.

The flip side, is, of course, the BJ's shabby defense. None of their players are in the black in terms of plus/minus (Berard has the worst +/- in the league I believe) and both of their goaltenders have save percentages below 0.900.

Not that the Flames are into taking advantage of shabby defenses...

So it'll come down to whether Calgary decides to show up or not. Will it be the team that won 8 in row? Or the team that makes superstars out of 3rd string goalies? We can beat Ottawa and we can be shut out by Chicago...I guess we'll see tonight. Here's hoping we play nothing like we did 2 nights ago...

-----------------------------------------------------

On a seperate note - If anyone's baffled by the sudden nose-dive by the Thrashers, consider: I traded for Kari Lehtonen in my Hockey Pool shortly before their recent 5 game losing streak. I've learned my getting a goalie in fantasy hockey is the equivalent of washing a car on a sunny day - it guarantees rain.

Speaking of which, I've been staying away from Tim Thomas in Boston. His recent performance, which has almost single-handedly made Boston a respectable team again, is too much of a feel good story for me to screw up with my lousy luck.

Of course, I've considered using the "goalie curse" against Calgary's closest rivals (Vancouver, Edmoton)...but I figured that would be a waste - their goalies suck a bunch already...