Monday, January 15, 2007

A Welcome Return

What's this? I bugger off for a couple of weeks and the Flames decide to tear it up - sans Iginla? Secondary and teritiary scoring in spades? Suddenly 9 games to the black?

Whoa. It seems my excursion couldn't have been more ill-timed: I missed 3 key victories over divisional rivals that included a 7-3 ass-stomping of the Avs (on the road!) and Friesen's first goal of the season! Against Edmonton! Although somewhat belated, that juicey little fact is probably the best Christmas present I received this season. What else? Ritchie's promotion and scoring splurge. Kipper's return to form. Lombo's continued excellence. Not to mention the team's right around 6th in the league in terms GPG. And, The Oilers are sucking. Almost all's well in Flame country right now.

I say, "almost" because, as I glance through some stats stuff here, it seems the Flame's special teams still pretty much suck. The PK would be downright horrendous if guys like Huselius and Lombo weren't constantly racking up points with a man down. It's not hurting the team too much currently, but...

Okay, no more complaints. I earnestly wish I'd be around to enjoy the past couple improbable weeks, but such is life. I'm still kinda dazed and confused so I'll be easing myself back into the blogging slowly but steadily over the next week or so...


Anyways, tonight the Flames play the streaking Nashville Predators. Nashville is great at home, has the 2nd most points in the conference and have beaten the tar out of Calgary over the last 2 seasons. Ugh. Course, THIS is the game I return home to watch.

Oh well. Just watching hockey again will be nice enough. Any kind of Calgary success - be it a win, a tie in regulation or some special teams success - would be a bonus.

So, to be realistic, let's say 3-2 Preds in a S/O. Huselius and Ritchie with the Calgary goals.

Go Flames!