Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This 'n That

So Detroit and San Jose conspired once again to deny my bid for a perfect set of predictions. I went 6/8 in the first round, missing on the Red Wing/Flames and Sharks/Preds picks. In the second round, I successfully picked the Sabres, Ducks and Ottawa victories, but failed to forecast the SJ/Joe Thornton implosion.

Kudos to Detroit. They seem to be getting better as the post season rolls along, despite some significant injuries. I keep expecting the likes of Chelios and Hasek to collapse into sweaty, shuddering heaps, but it continually fails to happen.

Anyways, although I've picked against the Red Wings twice - and been wrong twice - I'm going to do it again in round 3. The Ducks have superior defensive depth now that Detroit has lost Schneider, and an even more capable shut-down trio in Moen, Pahlsson and Niedermayer, which will likely go head-to-head with the Zetterberg line. I would call goaltending a wash, although I keep expecting Hasek's groin to blow-up. Should the Dominator fall, so too shall Detroit.

Ducks in 7.

The Ottawa/Buffalo series promises to be one of the best we've seen in a long time. Both are well-rounded offensive dynamos that made short work of their first 2 opponents - although I'd venture to say that the Sens have looked like the more capable squad thus far. In fact, the Senators have probably been the best club in the league for the last 3 months or so. If Buffalo is unable to bring their "A" game in this 3rd round, I pick Ottawa to win the series and, likely, the cup.

That said, I've liked Buffalo for most of the season and they've become my sentimental favorite. If there's a team capable of knocking down the high-flying Sens, it's them.

Sabres in 7.

--------------------------------------------------------

So Matthew Lombardi has been operating on what I would consider the #1 line (Doan-Lombo-Nash) for Canada in the World Championships and Lo and Behold! He's got 8 points in 6 games, including yesterday's hat trick.

I was pimping Lombardi for top 6 duty last summer and I'll be doing it again during this off-season. He struggled at the end of the year, however, keep in mind he frequently played with less quality linemates during that period (Amonte, Primeau, etc.). That is, when he wasn't getting benched or scratched for minor errors.

If Lombardi doesn't usurp Conroy's position among the top 6 come September I may have to just purchase a Buffa-Slug jersey and convert completely.