Saturday, October 04, 2008

Misc.

- Flames cut another 3 guys today, sending Armstrong and Keetley to the farm and Backlund back to Sweden. The roster is still swollen by three or four extra bodies which will have to go away by next Thursday. Candidates are: Warrener, Eriksson, Pardy, Lundmark and Prust. I'd place my bets on Warrener, Eriksson and Lundmark taking the long flight.

- Todd Bertuzzi caught a Giordano slap-shot in the ankle area last night. Word is today that nothing is broken and it's just a deep bruise (good news...?). On that front, I thought Bertuzzi was pretty bad last night. Lots of cruising around, lots of needlessly complicated passes leading to give-aways. I know he's going to start the year with Jarome, but nothing he's done this preseason has convinced me he belongs there.

- Kipper was awful again last night. Two of the Oilers three goals were scored from the corner and behind the net. Flames won the game despite their $8M man, not because of him. I'm quite nervous about his play heading into the home opener (and beyond).

- Hard not to like Glencross. He's been a positive contributor every night he's played and his OT goal last night was just a cherry on top.

- Adrian Aucoin was dreadful too. Again. His play so far reminds me of the first game I saw him play as a Flame (home opener against the Flyers last year). I turned to my friend about half way through the contest and said, "Aucoin reminds me of something: it's brown, floats in water and isn't made of wood."

Maybe Im seeing things because I kinda expect Aucoin to be bad this year, so chime in if you think I have my head up my posterior.